Motown was down the street and they called me up asked if I wanted to do album covers, so I said I’ll send you an example. So, I sent them that ball of noise just to show my kind of disdain. I didn’t even know what it was at that time. It wasn’t anything. It was just a little record company down the street in an old house that said Hitsville, USA and I was a big time Detroit automotive advertising designer. I was too snobby to actually want to do anything for them. So I just sent them that ball of noise as a joke, just to end the whole thing. At the time I didn’t know what it was, nor did I care. It was just kid’s music and I was more interested in Jazz. I didn’t want to bother with this little shitty neighborhood record company that was just down the street from the building I worked in. I was just a snobby artist, even in high school. I wouldn’t be caught dead listening to Elvis Presley or any of that kind of stuff. Beatniks didn’t listen to pop music. Beatniks listened to Shostakovich and Coltrane. When I was in high school the big thing was beatniks and so beatniks were high culture. They weren’t pop culture. If you were a beatnik, you were a bohemian artist type, so you would be into Classical and Be Bop Jazz and then finally folk music, but very authentic stuff. I listened to that Harry Smith Anthology of American Folk Music.

From an interview with Ed Fella.

No comments:

Post a Comment