Not Made in the U.S.A.

Of the 300+ products in the Summer 2008 L.L. Bean catalog, just six were made in the U.S.A. (and none of those apparel): [1] a chair cushion (Maine), [2] recycled plastic patio furniture, [3] an Adirondack chair, [4] wool rugs (NC), [5] dog beds (assembled in ME of USA and imported fabric), and [6] the canvas boat and tote bag (ME). Everything else in the catalog was marked "imported".

And although I love me my Boat and Tote® bag, I must say I'm dissapointed, but not surprised.


  1. Duluth Pack Co in Minn has mostly Made In USA products. If you go on their website and plug in "Made In USA" on their search engine you will get a list of products. But if you get their hardcopy catalog, it has much more info -- their are little flags beside each product. They really need to update their site.

    For more Made In USA stuff, come to my blog at http://madeinusaoreuro.blogspot.com/

  2. The website MadeByYankees has a nice database to search. We hope to be an all inclusive database and resource for consumers. Something like thomasregister has for manufacturers.
    www.madebyyankees.com (blog)